|Steering Committee||Human Resources Sub-Committee|
|Finance & Fundraising Sub-Committee||Communications Sub-Committee|
|Women's Action Sub-Committee|
CAWI is a unique collaboration of women from diverse communities, organizations, academics and municipal decision-makers in the City of Ottawa. Decisions are made through various participatory consensus-based processes including: a Steering Committee composed of women of diverse ethno-cultural backgrounds, Aboriginal and francophone representation, two academics, two city managers and staff.
- Promotes self awareness
- Depends on all voices and views being heard and valued
- Values working with diverse groups of people
- Builds a shared vision
- Facilitates building of community
- Brings our hearts and creativity into decision making and action
- Promotes transformation and change
- We each have something to learn and to teach. Women work as co-chairs and committee members sharing our ideas and learning from each other. In this way, we support each other in taking action, in contributing and in our professional development.
CAWI’s Steering Committee consists of:
community members, who are representatives of diverse groups of women with specific skills and interests:
Alisson Minga Mabi
2 city managers:
Clara Freire, Client Service Strategies, Organizational Development & Performance
Lois Emburg, Diversity & Employment Equity, Human Resources
Caroline Andrew, Centre of Governance, University of Ottawa
Fran Klodawsky, Carleton University
Suzanne Doerge, Director
Valerie Assoi, Community Engagement Coordinator
The Finance & Fundraising Sub-Committee of the City for All Women’s Initiative (CAWI) will decide on all aspects of financial and fundraising matters, subject to the Steering Committee’s final approval. This will be done in keeping with CAWI’s strategic directions, principles and philosophies, mission and mandate.
- Members to decide on financial matters and raised issues and to inform the Steering Committee;
- Co-chairs to make regular reports to the Steering Committee, and to report questions or concerns of the Steering Committee to the Finance and Fundraising Sub-Committee;
- Members to determine fundraising needs and to research and identify possible funding sources;
- Members to form ad hoc committees, where necessary, to perform specific tasks/functions such as assisting with and preparing funding proposals.
The Communications Sub-Committee of the City for All Women Initiative will guide and make decisions on all aspects of communications with the CAWI network and wider community, subject to final approval by the Steering Committee. This will be done in keeping with CAWI’s strategic directions, principles and philosophies, mission and mandate.
Members will bring forward ideas, initiatives and plans in the areas of communications, public relations, event planning and membership to the Steering Committee for approval. These may be in response to needs which have been directed to the Communications Sub-Committee by staff, the Steering Committee or other CAWI sub-committees. Initially, these could include:
- develop communication tools for purposes of information/public relations, such as a brochure, and dissemination strategies;
- analyze the website with a view to enhancement;
- develop means to promote the achievements of CAWI;
- make CAWI key documents, such as the Strategic Plan, more accessible; and
- develop recruitment, retention and recognition strategies for CAWI membership.
Once approved by the Steering Committee, ensures the implementation of initiatives and plans in the areas of communications, public relations, event planning and membership.
Ensures periodic evaluation of current practices in the areas of communication, event planning, public relations and membership.
Develops and updates guidelines for communications.
Considera ways for making meetings accessible to francophones.
The Human Resources Sub-Committee of the City for All Women’s Initiative will make decisions on all aspects of the personnel policy subject to the Steering Committee’s final approval. This will be done in keeping with CAWI’s strategic directions, principles and philosophies, mission and mandate and could include:
- research, develop and recommend personnel policy and manual for use in CAWI/IVTF’s activities;
- oversee volunteer development;
- develop a yearly work plan with timelines for new policies and in conjunction with staffing priorities;
- review and revise adopted personnel policies regularly;
- monitor the implementation of adopted personnel policies;
- be a supportive and confidential forum within which personnel issues are addressed;
- form ad hoc committees where necessary to perform specific tasks/functions such as hiring new staff;
- Co-Chairs to make regular reports to the Steering Committee.
The Women’s Action SubpCommittee of the City for All Women Initiative will listen to women and be aware of what is happening in the City of Ottawa so as to identify women’s concerns to be addressed and ways for addressing them. This will be done in keeping with CAWI’s strategic directions, principles and philosophies, mission and mandate.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Plan and facilitate Women Action Forums;
- Extend invitation to women to participate in forums;
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment;
- Identify guest speakers and presenters for Women's Action forums;
- Participate in Women Action Forums on regular basis as a place for learning from the community;
- Listen to the concerns women are raising and develop an action plan to address the concerns;
- Keep informed about issues arising at City Hall that are of interest to women and their communities;
- Send communiqués to City council on behalf of the Women’s Action Forum.